Research and Tissue Support Services (RTSS) provides services for faculty and staff to fulfill the requirements to their approved basic, translational and clinical research protocols at Texas Children’s Hospital, Dan L. Duncan Cancer Center, Baylor College of Medicine and other affiliated institutions.
The RTSS Core follows the International Society of Biological and Environmental Repositories (ISBER) established guidelines and has more than ten years of experience in Biorepository service on the fields of obtaining, processing, cataloging, storing and distributing biological specimens for research use. The RTSS Core members have many years of experience in the fields of Biobanking, Cell biology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, and Education. The RTSS Core Laboratory provides a wide variety of services, including Biorepository, Biochemical and Cell biology procedures, Cell Culture, Microscopy and Imaging, Dry Ice, LN2, CO2 support, Rent-a-bench, Consultation, Biological material Shipping.
For same day shipping, samples must be in the lab by 4 pm.
For shipment by FedEx, not processed by RTSS, there is a 5 pm deadline.
- Ultra freezers (-80 oC) (x10)
- Freezers (-20 oC) (x3)
- LN2 freezers (x23)
- Refrigerators (x4)
- Dry ice, LN2 and CO2 supplies
- Biosafety cabinet (x4)
- Laboratory centrifuges (x4)
- Micro-centrifuges (x3)
- pH meter (x1)
- Laboratory balance (x1)
- Analytical balance (x1)
- BTX Electroporation System (x1)
- Inverted phase contrast microscope (x3)
- Light microscope (x2)
- Dissecting Stereo microscope (x1)
- Cell counter (x1)
- CO2 Incubators (x4)
- Biological material shipping supplies
- Collecting, processing and distributing tumor and non-tumor specimens for protocols
- Processing and storing blood, bone marrow and spinal fluid samples for protocols
- Sample storage services in controlled -80 oC and LN2 freezers for protocols
Biochemical and Cell biology procedures services
- Isolating mononuclear cells from bone marrow and/or blood samples
- Extracting DNA and/or RNA from fresh or frozen samples
Cell culture Services
- Establishing primary cell cultures from tissue samples,
- Developing continuous cell lines from primary cultures, Preliminary characterization of cell cultures (morphology, growth characteristics, specific antigen expression testing etc.)
- Cryopreserving (live cell freezing) cell cultures, cell suspensions
- Complete media, Custom Cell Culture Media Preparation for protocols
Microscopy and Imaging Service
- Image capturing through, normal-, inverted- or fluorescent microscope from stained or unstained samples.
- Photomicrography and image processing for protocols, for publications (composite and multi-image figures) or for presentations.
Dry ice, Liquid Nitrogen (LN2) and CO2 support Service
- RTSS has a reserved, Dry ice, LN2 and CO2 supply for shipping, transporting, or emergency use for customers
“Rent-a-Bench” and Equipment use Service
- RTSS has designated clean bench spaces, work-stations, and equipment for short term, daily or periodic use for protocols
- Packing, handling and shipping biological materials according to Class 6.2 Dangerous goods for protocols
Consultation, Advisory and Educational Services
- Scientific assistance provided to principal investigators for planning and development of projects, identifying the needs, and determining how RTSS can support those.
- Writing Standardized Operational Procedures (SOP) for protocols
- Organizing and Presenting Scientific procedures for continuing educational purposes at different levels for specific target audition
Laszlo Perlaky, PhD
Maria Theresa Ty
Staff Pager: 6188 (M-F 9:00am-5:30pm)
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday 9:00am – 6:00pm
Location and mailing address
Research Tissue Support Service (RTSS)(Non-Tissue Mail Only)
1102 Bates Ave.
Feigin Center, Ste. 1130.11
Houston, TX 77030