About the Texas Medical Center (TMC)
The Texas Medical Center (TMC) is the largest medical center in the world with one of the highest densities of clinical facilities for patient care, basic science, and translational research.
With 162 buildings on the main campus alone, The Texas Medical Center in Houston is expansive. Its 49 member institutions are dedicated to the highest standards of patient and preventive care, research education, and the well-being of local, national and international communities. All of these major institutions are not-for-profit.
14 renowned hospitals and 21 Academic Institutions, 3 medical schools, 6 nursing schools, and schools of dentistry, public health, pharmacy, and virtually all of the health-related practices and careers are represented. More heart surgeries are performed in the Texas Medical Center than anywhere else in the world. Additionally, the Texas Medical Center is the home to the largest and of one of the first-established, air emergency service. The Texas Medical Center was also the originator of a very successful inter-institutional transplant program.
The Texas Medical Center receives over 6 million annual patient visits each year, including nearly 10,000 international patients, many of which have traveled from remote or resource-limited locations. The Texas Medical Center employs over 935,500 employees, including over 4,000 physicians and approximately 11,000 registered nurses.
Texas Medical Center Facts and Figures
- TMC draws approximately 6 million patient visits per year
- TMC is host to 10,456 international patients
- The area spans 1,000+ acres with more than 162 permanent buildings
- Between 2002 and 2004, more than $2.1 billion spent in adding to or renovating facilities of TMC institutions
- Over 93,500 employees, 11,000 registered nurses and 4,000+ physicians
- 12,000+ volunteers,
- 21 academic institutions operate facilities on the TMC campus
- Over $1.8 billion average annual research expenditures by TMC institutions
Learn more about the Texas Medical Center at www.tmc.edu.